Feb. 24, 2023
How to Properly Wind Your Automatic Watch
By: Michail Damoulis
At Novamier, we understand the importance of maintaining the quality and longevity of your automatic watch.
One key aspect of this is winding your watch correctly.
In this guide, we'll cover the proper techniques for winding your automatic watch, as well as some tips for maintaining its accuracy and reliability.
How to Wind an Automatic Watch
To wind your automatic watch, follow these steps:
1. Put the watch on your wrist and move it back and forth in a natural motion.
2. If the watch has stopped or is running slow, gently shake it back and forth for 15-30 seconds to get the rotor moving.
3. Once the rotor is moving, continue wearing the watch and moving your wrist for several hours to fully wind the mainspring.
4. If the watch has a manual winding option, use the crown to wind it fully before wearing it.
It's important to note that over-winding your automatic watch can damage its internal mechanisms, so avoid forcing the crown if you feel resistance.
Also, if you don't wear your automatic watch regularly, it may stop running and require manual winding to restart it..
What is an Automatic Watch?
First, let's define what an automatic watch is.
Unlike a quartz watch, which uses a battery to power its movement, an automatic watch relies on the motion of the wearer's wrist to wind its mainspring.
This makes it a self-winding watch that doesn't require manual winding or frequent battery replacements.
Tips for Maintaining Your Automatic Watch
In addition to proper winding, here are some tips for maintaining the accuracy and reliability of your automatic watch:
• Store your watch in a cool, dry place away from magnetic fields and direct sunlight.
• Avoid exposing your watch to water, especially if it's not water-resistant.
• Clean your watch regularly with a soft, dry cloth to remove dirt, dust, and sweat.
• Have your watch serviced every 3-5 years by a professional watchmaker to ensure its proper functioning and prevent potential problems.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your automatic watch runs smoothly and lasts for years to come.
Remember to wind it regularly, store it properly, and have it serviced when necessary.
At Novamier, we're committed to providing high-quality watches that meet your needs and exceed your expectations..